Author of the book - The Last Ruble - A Story is Born
1. Tell me about your book. How did you come up with that (story, angle, idea)?
I will normally just start with a basic idea, then as I begin to writing, the characters in the story guide my writing. I follow their path, as they speak to me.
2. How did you get interested in writing this particular genre (historical novels, mysteries, sci-fi, children's books, etc.)?
I like fiction, it does not limit my imagenation, plus I like adventure stories.
3. What kind of research did you do for this book?
For the financial side of this book, I lived it, working with and for Wall Street firms for twenty years, then for the other side, I try to bring my characters to life and let them tell me what to write.
4. What's a typical working day like for you? When and where do you write? Do you set a daily writing goal ?
I normally write early in the morning, say around four or five am, when my brain is fresh. I sometimes write at my home in old town Key West, just off Duval Street, but for the most part, I write in the back of our cafe, also located in old town Key West, Florida. As for goals, well I really to don't set goals i.e how many pages will I sit down and write, because I feel this might force me to write and if I am forcing myself to write, then I feel my characters do not have time to develop and tell me where are trying to go.
5. What is the hardest part of writing for you?
Stopping. Once I get going, I really go, but writing tries my brain and body, so I have to make myself stop or I am afraid, I might loose track of what my characters are trying to tell me.
6. What’s the best thing about being an author?
Self satifaction or perhaps better put, accomplishing a goal.
7. What are you working on now?
Part two of this book - The Last Ruble
8. What advice would you give aspiring writers?
Just do it and never give up.
9. Do you have any favorite authors or favorite books?
Poe, Dickens and a few others.
10. How long does it take to write a book?
The Last Ruble took about three months, but I would guess, each book if going to be different. I do not put time limits on myself.
11. What is The Last Ruble - A Story is Born - about?
I get ask a lot “What is your book about?” This is a tough question to answer without giving the book away, but a book, to me is a journey. I try to touch on all of one’s emotions i.e. Love, hate, death, romance, mystery, adventure and of course one must have a humor or I think you would go crazy in life. I think my book, The Last Ruble, also focuses on loyalty, not only to loved ones, but to one’s self. Loyalty to me is one of the major foundations in life.
There are two main characters in my book, Jack Rivers who lives in the current times and Vladimir, a Russia soldier, who lives in a past years. Together they travel many of the same paths in life, while searching for peace. Their travels around the world and over the years bring them across the paths of many different people from different cultures and both seek to understand the meaning of peace within, although the cards they are handed to play are not always a winning hand.
Not only will many of your emotions be touched in my book, but you will end up pulling for my main characters, as you live with them, as they come upon the cross roads in life they encounter.
Visit Joe online at http://www.joedwells.com